An Orthogonal Universe Blog updates regularly on Friday, in my mind, and on other days whenever I feel like it.
Welcome to An Orthogonal Universe Blog
Combining Storytelling, Art, and Mathematics since 2013!
An Orthogonal Universe Blog is a blog about the combinations of storytelling, art, and mathematics. Since May 2013, the blog updates regularly on Friday. Special features may update on the off-days.
Have a suggestion for a topic? Feel free to submit your request.
About the Author
Robert Loyd Watson’s current incarnation began on 9 April, 1983 in Fort Worth, Texas, USA. During his stint as a daffodil in 1653, he had pondered a proof for Fermat’s Little Theorem (daffodils, as we all should know, have ample time to themselves for thinking). Unfortunately, he was snipped before he could complete his work. During his next incarnation he was successful in proving the theorem. But alas! No reputable mathematics journals would accept manuscripts from basset hounds. Even to this day it is true. He is still bitter about it.
Today Robert is a Mathematics professor who enjoys crafting mathematical fantasies in his spare time. He lives in North Carolina with his wife, Elizabeth, and cats Milton, Spenser, and Euclid.
- Email: merrak [at] gmail [dot] com
Ry the Squirrel
Ry the Squirrel is in charge of the subscriptions department. He is responsible for delivering messages from the blog. Maybe you would like to receive his notices in your inbox? If you enjoy this blog, consider subscribing!
Ry the Squirrel is a character in the sequel to A Foundation in Wisdom.
- Fragmented Reality – Ludum Dare 33
- The Hybrid Textbook, Part 1
- Imaginary Worlds
- Can Ostriches Fly?
- Where Are Your Friends?
- Cats are Not Deep Thinkers
- Ry the Squirrel’s Own Game
- Life Inside a Novel Under Revision
- Inaugural Cartoon
- ICTCM 2015
- Teaching Philosophy
- Local Author Day 3 and Symposium
- Permutation — Android-based Puzzle Game
- Preliminary Results in Mathematics Software
- Ludum Dare 31
- Updates and Book Three
- Local Author Day Event at Jacksonville Barnes and Noble
- Flying Dachshund of the Day
- Who’s the Villain?
- North Carolina Saturday
- Not About e-Book Prices
- Who is Mara Sanghid? (Part 1)
- Art Tuesday
- The Lost Dimensions
- Cover of An Ember in the Wind
- An Ember in the Wind Launch now June 14
- An Ember in the Wind Launches 14 June 2014
- Reinventing Education (Part 1)
- Little Finds, Part 2
- What is A Foundation in Wisdom Really About? Part 2
- Didactic Writing, and What is A Foundation in Wisdom Really About?
- A Foundation in Wisdom Scene of the Day
- Patent Monday
- Why it Sucks to be a Character in a Novel
- Subtle References
- In the Future, Everyone Will be a News Reporter
- Mara of the Ori Adventure Game Development
- New Projects for 2014!
- The Earth and the Rope Riddle
- How Many Novels Are There?
- Nanowrimo Week 2
- Revision Sunday – Mara of the Ori
- Merciless with Words
- Nanowrimo Statistics Over the Years
- What You May Not Know About Textbook Publishing
- Portrait Wednesday Update Monday
- Fact or Fiction 1 ~ Weights and Measures
- Portrait Wednesday
- Hidden Spirits ~ October 2013 Riddle
- Student Loans – What Can You Afford to Take On?
- Maroon Monday
- Creating a Book Interior with Open Source Software
- False Dogma ~ September 2013 Riddle
- An Ember in the Wind, Revision R71
- The Internet Psychic
- A System for Hybrid Books
- Tetraptych Tuesday: Desolation
- Fall Semester
- Ry Recommends: The Big Bang Theory
- A Conundrum of Eggs, 2 of 3 ~ August 2013 Riddle
- How to Grow a Painting With Generative Art
- Mathematics vs. Nature for People Who Hate Math
- Author Obligations and the Millennial Generation
- Glue Your Butt to Your Chair and Write Your Novel
- A Conundrum of Eggs ~ July 2013 Riddle
- Artwork Endeavor Five Year Anniversary
- Why Libraries Are Not Obsolete
- The World of Fractal Art for People Who Hate Math
- Riddle for June 2013
- The Reading Pill
- The Hybrid Novel
- The Good Advice That You Just Didn’t Take
- A Foundation in Wisdom is Now on the Market!
- The Next Big Thing
- Thoughts on Self-Publishing
- On Cliche Plots and Writing From Experience
- A Brief History of the Wiener Dog
- What is An Orthogonal Universe?